top of page

The Post-Graduation Work Permit as a Pathway to Permanent Residency

Are you about to finish your studies and wish to stay in Quebec?

The Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is definitely THE solution.

Here are some useful pieces of information for you.

What is the Post-Graduation Work Permit?

As its name suggests, the Post-Graduation Work Permit is an open work permit that allows you to work after obtaining your diploma. It must be applied for within 180 days of receiving your diploma but can, under certain conditions, be obtained after this period by restoring your status (formerly implied status).

What are the conditions for obtaining the Post-Graduation Work Permit?

In addition to having obtained a diploma, you must have attended a designated learning institution listed by the federal government at

Note, for those who wish to obtain a study permit and are reading these lines, ensure you choose an institution from the list above to be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.

What is the duration of the Post-Graduation Work Permit?

The duration of the work permit depends on the length of your program:

Less than 8 months = no PGWP

Between 8 months and 2 years, at most the duration of the studies (12 months of studies = 12 months of PGWP)

More than 2 years = 3 years of PGWP

More than one completed program = combined duration of the programs, if at least 8 months in a designated learning institution

The Post-Graduation Work Permit is one of the pathways to obtaining permanent residency in Canada, as we will explain soon in another article.

Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website for more information on the subject.

Liens utiles :

Liens utiles vers d'autres pages de notre site web :


bottom of page